Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Where do I find items for my shop?

People are always asking me where I find items. There is no one good answer to that question. Since I own the shop I have a number of people either calling or coming in with things they want to sell. This is a good method of buying for me because I no longer have as much time to look for items.

Before I opened my store I had several booths in antique malls. At that time I did not get the option of buying from individuals who came in. When I had the booths I attended auctions almost every weekend. Most areas have a local auctioneer who does estate auctions. This is a good place to purchase vintage and antique items. You do need to have some idea of what an item is worth before you decide to bid on it. While there are bargains to be had, sometimes people pay way to much. I have seen people pay more for an item at auction than they are will to pay in a shop.

Flea markets are another good source. There are several here in Kansas that I like to go to. Usually, the dealers at the flea market have lower prices and you can pick up nice items for a reasonable cost.

Don't forget the antique stores. Not all dealers now what they have. I have made some very good buys. It is impossible for anyone to know about every subject and sometimes dealers have an item that they do not know much about and price it too low.

Last but not least is the Garage sale. I find a lot of items at garage sales and church rummage sales. They may not be worth a great deal but if I pay 50 cents for an item I can sell for $5 I feel like I got a good deal.

Happy hunting.

1 comment:

  1. hello! i like antique furnitures

    following you here thru link referral
    http://www.notepadcorner.com
    http://delectableideas.blogspot.com
    http://joysflair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete