Wednesday, April 6, 2011

What should I collect? How about collecting some history.


People often wonder what they should collect. There are a lot of options out there. I thought that I would share with you one of my interests. I collect items from towns that my family is from. Both of my Parent are from small towns where a lot of the places are no longer there. Finding Souvenir items from these towns is a challenge. Also, it is fun to find old advertising from businesses that used to be in these towns.

If you decide to collect this type of thing you have a lot of options. I like glass and pottery so I tend to buy souvenir glass or premiums that were given away by businesses. I have managed to collect several plates advertising old businesses and a piece of Watt pottery, also advertising, from my Dad's home town. I also have a few post cards from there. This is a town of about 300 people so there is not a lot of items available.

If you like advertising items you can find pencils, tins, clocks, thermometers and many more items. Farm implement companies put out a lot of advertising items.

Many of these items can be obtained for a reasonable price. They are fun and help you connect to history. I have pictured some items available in my store. The calendar is an advertising piece from Medicine Lodge, Ks. The bell is for a hockey team, The Wichita Wind. There are two glass souvenirs from Salina, KS and wooden shoe also from Salina.



2 comments:

  1. Nice blog. I collect spoons. Old and new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much Chrissy. I started collecting spoons when I was 7 years old. I have a number of them from places that we traveled to. It was what got me started collecting.

    ReplyDelete